Sri Lanka’s 57,000 salons and beauty parlors will be inspected by the health ministry after the death of a customer on November 2, 2011. The woman died due to a severe allergic reaction caused by products applied to her skin during a facial treatment.
This is not the first case of beauty gone awry in Sri Lanka. A few years ago a famous Sri Lanka singer, Malini Bulathsinghala, died after inhaling fumes from substandard hair dye.
Currently, Sri Lanka’s hair and makeup industry does not have legalized standards, or methods of enforcing them, which has resulted in numerous instances of customers suffering injuries during beauty treatments.
The investigation, which launched on November 1, 2011, started in Colombo and eventually branch out to other areas of the country. The focus will be to raise awareness for cosmetic manufacturers, importers, and salon employees on the dangers of substandard beauty products. The team will inspect the beauty products used in salons to ensure their safety.
According to Health Ministry spokesman W.M.D. Wanninayaka, Health Minister Maithripala Sirisena has received numerous complaints that many beauty parlors are not registered under the CDDA (Cosmetics Devices and Drugs Authority) as required by law. In addition many of these businesses employ unqualified persons putting the lives of their customers at risk. All unauthorized parlors and salons will be shut down and legal action will be taken against them under the Cosmetic Devices and Drugs law.
The CCDA expects to complete the investigation by the end of the month, and plans to re-register all qualified parlors at the close of the investigation.